Free up valuable oven space this Thanksgiving with this Slow Cooker Sausage Cornbread Dressing. It's loaded with Italian sausage and lots of flavor from onion, celery, and sage. Stuffing, or dressing as it's frequently called in the south, is the ultimate comfort food and the part of the Thanksgiving meal I look forward to most.
Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing/Dressing. Come Fall In love With Our Cheesy & Easy Stuffing Recipes By Kraft® Today! Stir the sausage into the bread mixture, then give the sausage stuffing a taste and add more salt, pepper, or desired herbs as you deem necessary. This hearty stuffing requires no use of a stove-top or oven-simply add cut-up stale French bread, a few vegetables and sweet Italian sausage to a slow cooker and let the machine do the rest.
Ingredients – Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing/Dressing
- ground Italian sausage 1 pound.
- (12-16 oz) bag of stuffing cubes 1.
- ground black pepper 1 teaspoon.
- dried cranberries 1 cup.
- onion powder 1 teaspoon.
- garlic powder 1 teaspoon.
- poultry seasoning 2 teaspoon.
- ground sage 1 teaspoon.
- crushed rosemary 1/2 teaspoon.
- crushed thyme 1/2 teaspoon.
- no/reduce salt butter, melted 2 tablespoon.
- reduce/no salt chicken broth 2-4 cups.
Made right in your slow cooker it frees up your oven and makes it easy to transport. It slow cooks to perfection adding crispy edges and will be the best stuffing that you will ever make! Time is just flying… Crock Pot Sausage Stuffing Notes: Looking for more recipes? As with any of our recipes, carb counts, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly.
Step by step – Slow Cooker Sausage Stuffing/Dressing
- Remove sausages from their casings. Heat up sausage in a skillet. As it is browning, break it up with a fork. Once browned, put it to the side..
- Spray the slow cooker or, better yet, put in a liner. You will thank me later..
- In large bowl mix the stuffing cubes with dried cranberries, sausage, ground black pepper, onion & garlic powder, poultry seasoning, ground sage, and then finally the crushed rosemary & thyme..
- Pour the butter on top, then stir together. Next, add the chicken broth until you get the moisture that you desire. For me, it took 3 cups of broth..
- Cook on low for 2- 3 hours. Check after 2 hours, then every half hour after that. Stirring as you check it out. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get it the way that I like it..
Making the stuffing in the slow cooker keeps the stuffing moist and lets you get it going first thing on Thanksgiving morning. This will become your new favorite way to make it! To make the slow cooker stuffing in the oven, prepare as directed using the full amount of broth. You could also make it a day ahead and simply reheat on low in the slow cooker, or even freeze it further in advance. Aside from the turkey, the dressing (or stuffing, if you prefer) is the other mainstay dish on most Thanksgiving tables, and many families have tried-and-true dressing recipes that they use every year.